top of page

Our Story

Routes Coaching is an executive coaching business based in Johannesburg, South Africa, with 10 years of experience. We specialize in providing coaching services for professionals in the corporate world, offering individual coaching focused on understanding the self, emotional intelligence, and leadership. We are committed to helping professionals understand themselves better and develop their EQ and leadership skills. Our personalized coaching sessions and guidance help professionals excel in their careers and overcome challenges. We are passionate about working with others to create a positive impact on their lives. We believe that everyone can achieve their goals and navigate their personal and professional journeys with the right mindset and support.

Iceberg background.jpg

Our Approach

Welcome to Routes Coaching, where we believe that true personal growth and development extends beyond surface-level changes. To understand exactly what we do, and where we work, our approach to coaching is centered around Freud’s Iceberg Theory. Which recognizes that most of our behavior and thought patterns exist beneath the surface. We are dedicated to providing a safe, non-judgmental atmosphere that fosters personal discovery and empowerment by looking at what's beneath the surface. Our coaches are passionate about helping clients achieve their goals, and are committed to providing a supportive and empowering coaching experience.

Where We Work

It is known that the exposed tip of the iceberg that sits above the waterline is made up of about 10% of the whole structure. The foundation of the iceberg, the remaining 90% of the ice, is below the waterline. The tip of the iceberg floats on the deeper and more substantial portion of the whole structure. The human psyche is the same. Above the waterline is directly influenced by the depth of the ice below. The power of this unseen portion of the psyche should never be underestimated, as it is within this depth that true human power is held. Within these depths, untapped strength and power can be accessed. This is where the foundation for technical proficiency is created, and barriers to success (perceived or real) are removed.


Our Coaches

Debbie Wheal 

Director, Coach

Debbie new pic.jpg

I am incredibly privileged to live my purpose and passion every day of my life!  I am an egalitarian first and foremost, and certainly an unconventional coach. I strongly believe that every person possesses within them, all that is required to achieve and live the best version of themselves. Seeing the people I coach grow and prosper feeds my soul. The AVOLVED Leadership Programme is the culmination of my 10-years of experience as a coach in my business. I have been honoured to coach many leaders and have seen what it takes to be a great leader.  

My mission is to guide my clients towards self-awareness and true understanding of self, acceptance and ultimately self-actualization, whilst challenging them to remove unhelpful and self-limiting beliefs. I am an NBI (Neethling Brain Instrument) Practitioner, a brilliant tool to help my clients understand their thinking preferences. I have completed my International Coaching Federation (USA) accredited NQF 8 Coaching Practitioner Programme, through the South African College of Applied Psychology.  

Cassie Quiterres


Cassie New 6.jpg

I am 24 years old and, on the journey to pursuing my passion in psychology and helping others. Being a member of Routes Coaching, I am privileged that I get the chance to do what I love and enjoy. It is incredibly exciting to be a part of this wonderful business, as it is my second year of coaching and I am always up for a challenge. To begin this journey, I completed a BA Honours in Psychology in 2022. My years of study have created a great theoretical foundation and now, it’s time to get valuable experience. My goal is to continue progressing and eventually pursue a master’s in clinical psychology, hopefully adding to the value and progression of Routes Coaching.

I aim to be better at what I do and have a positive effect on the people that I meet. One of the greatest aspects of this industry is that there is room for learning and I am always eager to learn. I have learnt a lot from Debbie already. As a typical right-brained individual, I am a people person who thrives working with and helping others, wanting to make a difference in someone else’s life. Thankfully, I also have a fun and bubbly personality to help with that.

Our Clients

bottom of page